Thursday, September 25, 2008

What the fuck is happening?

Everytime I turn on the radio or watch the 6 o'clock news I cannot escape the numerous reports covering pointless and cowardly violent crimes. Without sounding like the weird old guy who sits outside the supermarket all day, it really wasn't that long ago that New Zealand was a relatively safe place, an ideal place to raise a family and live your life. Nowadays our little slice of heaven is a breeding ground for wannabe thugs, drug addicts and various other human waste.

Now before you go an accuse me of being naive and only noticing this surge in violence because of media coverage let me assure you I have never been someone to take the media's word as gospel, if anything you could call me a media cynic. I appreciate that in some cases violent stories are being covered to increase ratings however I do not accept that the violent crime rate is steady and it is a case of the public just hearing about more of these incidents.

The fact of the matter is New Zealand is slowly, but surely being dragged down, and not only by our very own breed of scumbags but also by the beaurucrats that allow them to continue to reoffend time and time again.

I mean come on, I can gaurantee you that at least 90% of these assholes who commit these hennious crimes are not first time offenders. In most cases they will probably have a long criminal history all pointing to the fact that one day they will perpatrate a headline grabbing crime.

When I was going through school the worst you were going to get was maybe a few punches in the head at school or a kick in the head at a weekend party, but now it seems that it is no longer a gentlemans world out there, gone are the days of one on one, it is all about gang mentality and this type of sect thinking results in much more severe beatings and tragic results.

So where am I going with this all to familar rant, well to be honest I don't really know. I don't have an answer, well not one that wouldn't violate the violators human rights and get the UN up in arms. I don't have a magic wand that I can wave to stop the never ending cycle of family violence. What I do know is that I am about to be a Father and this increasing random violence scares the hell out of me.

Maybe with elections coming up the government will finally begin to listen? Maybe tougher sentencing will become the norm? Maybe schools will begin to include self defence in the curriculum? or maybe some renegade type will come along and cleanse the country? hey it could happen.

Anyway, enough of this depressing topic let me finish with some of lifes finer things that I have been enjoying...

1 - The new Gaslight Anthem album. This is one of the most solid releases I have heard in a long, long time.

2 - Leftover chilli nachos for lunch. the only thing better than chilli nachos for dinner is the leftovers the next day

3 - A surprise tattoo appointment. So I was checking through my work diary on Monday and found I have a booking for this Saturday, not a bad start to the week

4 - Family Guy. Seriously, how good is this show?

No comments: